What is a Fatty Liver?

All of our organs contain some level of fat. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because fat cells are protecting, and they are a great resource for storing extra energy.

After having a meal, the intestines absorbs the fat, and the fat enters the bloodstream, which transfers the fat straight to the liver. The fat is converted by the metabolic process in the liver, and eventually converted to energy.

If the amount of carried fat exceeding normal bounds, it is stored in the liver and in other tissues.

A normal liver has about 5% fat. The other 95% of the liver is made up of liver cells named Hepatocytes, which are responsible to do all the hard work of the liver.

Normal Healthy Liver and Fatty Liver

So what exactly is a Fatty Liver?

When the amount of fat is beyond 10%, some healthy liver cells are replaced by the fat cells, which ultimately results a Fatty Liver, or Steatosis. If untreated, it can lead to serious liver conditions.

Fatty Liver is a disease that doesn’t have any noticeable symptoms.

There are two main types of fatty liver:

  1. Alcoholic fatty liver – caused by excessive consumption of alcohol.
  2. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NALFD) – usually caused by being overweight, bad eating habits, and lack of physical activity.

To fully understand the differences between the two types, please read the causes of fatty liver.

16 comments
add a comment

Leave a comment

Have a question or something to contribute?
Write your comment below and Dr. Mark Bar-Gomel will reply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *