High ALT levels in fatty liver and Elevated ALT levels

An elevated ALT levels in your blood test results could be a sign of a related disorders and diseases, such as Fatty Liver disease, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Cirrhosis, and others.

ALT is a commonly required blood test requested by many physicians from their patients. It’s used to confirm or rule out liver disorders, simply because the enzyme is mostly concentrated in the liver, which is why a higher levels of the enzyme may suggest a problem in the liver.

What are the normal ALT enzyme levels?

Elevated ALT LevelsThe normal level of ALT in the bloodstream is 5 to 45 U/L (units per liter). This range can slightly vary depending where you take the blood test.

When a blood test shows elevated ALT levels outside the normal range, even a small amount, fatty liver and other liver disorders might be the cause.

If the cause of the ALT enzyme level increase is due to a severe liver disease (like Cirrhosis), the levels would be higher than what’s found in fatty livers patients.

Please note that some labs name ALT as “Alanine Transaminase”, “Alanine Aminotransferase” or “SGPT”.

What should I do if I have an Elevated ALT levels?

After you got your results, the first thing you need to do it to consult your physician, the one who requested from you to take the test. He can check the results and choose the next course of action.

In most cases, a follow-up blood test is required to confirm that the first results are not a one-time mishap.

If it is confirmed in the second blood test, you are most likely be required to do an abdominal ultrasound scan. The ultrasound is a necessary tool to look at the liver tissue and to confirm the existence of fatty liver and its severity.

How can I lower my ALT levels?

The most important thing to remember is that most liver diseases such as fatty liver, are very treatable. Fatty liver is also the most common cause of an elevated ALT level.

The main course of treatment is through a determined and decisive actions to heal your liver. It will include weight loss if you’re overweight, change in your food habits, exercise, and more.

Stop eating fat-concentrated foods, and start eating healthy. Use foods for fatty liver recommendations to learn more about what you should and shouldn’t eat. For full details please read thoroughly about fatty liver treatment.

Persistence and a real change in your life-style are the keys to lower your ALT levels.

High alt levels fatty liver

You might need some guidance

This a thought and a big change that isn’t so easy to carry out. It will need your full attention. Your health should be the #1 priority. If you need any guidance, I high recommend the fatty liver diet guide written by Dorothy Spencer BSN, RN, that has been a proven liver diet program that works. It helped a lot of my own patients. Click here to learn more about it.

1. faisal
    faisal says:

I had hepatitis e in april with an alt level of 6000 . It came down to 44 after a month or so but has gradually crept up to 80. What should I do.

• Lea J.
      Lea J. says:

Hi Faisal, will you post back and share what physical symptoms you might be having, or had during April?

Also, this helps for liver disease: The daily doses are 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid, 900 mg of silymarin (milk thistle extract), and 400 mcg of selenium, taken in divided doses.
      🌿 Lea

2. lee
    lee says:

To Anne – Just a suggestion these levels are high but treatable- you must get off any type of pain relief that has Tylenol in it and also get to a doctor to schedule a US Liver ultrasound just to make sure there is nothing going on. Chances are you jut have fatty liver and it can be controlled by diet and exercise but NO TYLENOL or PAIN MEDS that contain liver harming agents. Also no Alcohol ever until it is under control.

3. Anne doole
    Anne doole says:

How much fatty liver is enough to do damage my alt was 121 ap was52 get was 109? I suffer from ra an high colestol an also I’m on 5 mg diazepam 3 times a day pluse pain relief. Please put my mind at ease I’m worried sick. Thanks

4. Lisa
    Lisa says:

Hi Dr.
    I am a 24 year old, healthy female with moderately high ast and atl levels. Ast is at 242 and atl at 118. I recently had more tests done for hep, iron, vitamin d, etc and they all came out negative. Any idea what this could be? I work out 3 times a week and eat healthy. Also, I have been experiencing fatigue and brain fog over the last two months.
    Thanks for the help!

• Louise
      Louise says:

Get your Vitamin D levels tested. I have had elevated alt for the last year and in recent months I had my suspicions that I might have a Vitamin D deficiency so I had a blood test that confirmed Vitamin D at 24, which is low. 10 days or so before the blood test, I started taking a Vitamin D supplement and then had my liver enzymes tested at the same time as Vit D and the alt had come down to the point that the doctor said ‘it is heading in the right direction’. Of course I can’t be sure at this stage if it is down to the Vit D and the next test will confirm if the alt is continuing to drop, but I would be confident in placing a bet that the D deficiency has caused it. Fatigue and brain fog are symptoms of a Vit D deficiency. If your Dr refuses to test it you can buy a test online. The main source of Vit D is UVB light/sunshine and it is not easy to obtain it from food.

5. Lisa
    Lisa says:

Hi Dr.

Thanks for the help!

6. Sarvesh
    Sarvesh says:

Hi
    Yesterday I received my LFT REPORT.
    GLOBULIN SERUM 3.60mg/dl
    SGOT/AST 85
    SGPT/ALT 114
    LDH Serum 420
    Please suggest the me the meaning of the above values & also guide for Treatment

7. naseem
    naseem says:

I m male 34years .my weight is 83kg and alt is 50 .recently i had h pylori infection and now i m well. I want to know is it normal alt or something wrong dr said to me fatty liver can i reverse fatty liver to normal by excercise.

8. Beverly
    Beverly says:

Hello.
    I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos. I have multiple nodules on my thyroid. I feel tired and old at 57 and am about 60 pounds overweight. I crave sugar. I am tired all the time and find myself confused often. I see two doctors and am on Nature-Throid 97.5mg 1X a day and take a vitamin D supplement. I just do not understand the results and my doctors simply either raise or lower my medication but do not explain the tests. I am just wondering if you could help. Thank You.

GLUCOSE 100 H 65-99 mg/dL
    Fasting reference interval
    UREA NITROGEN (BUN) 18 7-25 mg/dL
    CREATININE 0.79 0.50-1.05 mg/dL

eGFR NON-AFR. AMERICAN 83 > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2
    eGFR AFRICAN AMERICAN 96 > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2
    BUN/CREATININE RATIO NOT APPLICABLE 6-22 (calc)
    SODIUM 140 135-146 mmol/L
    POTASSIUM 4.0 3.5-5.3 mmol/L
    CHLORIDE 107 98-110 mmol/L
    CARBON DIOXIDE 24 19-30 mmol/L
    CALCIUM 9.4 8.6-10.4 mg/dL
    PROTEIN, TOTAL 6.6 6.1-8.1 g/dL
    ALBUMIN 4.1 3.6-5.1 g/dL
    GLOBULIN 2.5 1.9-3.7 g/dL (calc)
    ALBUMIN/GLOBULIN RATIO 1.6 1.0-2.5 (calc)
    BILIRUBIN, TOTAL 0.4 0.2-1.2 mg/dL
    ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 74 33-130 U/L
    AST 20 10-35 U/L
    ALT 50 H 6-29 U/L
    TSH 0.03 L 0.40-4.50 mIU/L IG
    T4 (THYROXINE), TOTAL 4.2 L 4.5-12.0 mcg/dL IG
    FREE T4 INDEX (T7) 1.5 1.4-3.8
    T4, FREE 0.9 0.8-1.8 ng/dL IG
    T3, TOTAL 76 76-181 ng/dL IG
    T3 UPTAKE 35 22-35 % IG

9. shaun
    shaun says:

have rhumatoid arthritis been on methotrexate for 11 yrs,recently gained a bit of weight diagnosed with gall stones,although no real pain my alt rose from 36 to 72 and 77 on repeated tests,what could of caused the rise

10. Ashley
    Ashley says:

Hi Dr Mar, I had a physical done a week ago, My AST came back 126 and my Alt came back 67. I’m 5ft 167 lbs, I started working out 4mths ago my weight was 180, I’ve also started taking NUTRILITE women’s pack vitamin pack. My Dr tested me for hepatitis AB&C I’m terrified. Could you explain to me what could be going on please.