Fatty Liver on Ultrasound & Fatty Liver Images

One of the common ways to diagnose liver disorders and diseases (including fatty liver) is an abdominal ultrasound test.

Using fatty liver ultrasound, it is possible to analyze and confirm the existence or non-existence of fatty liver.

The abdominal ultrasound is a painless test that uses sound waves to produce images of your liver, and the entire process usually takes less than 15 minutes, and it is required to fast for at least 6.

fatty-liver-ultrasound-images-pictures

For accurate results, you should avoid eating fresh fruits, fried food, milk, eggs, and bread the day before the liver ultrasound test.

How an Abdominal Ultrasound room typically looks like

fatty liver on ultrasound

You will be asked to lie on your back for this test. A special Ultrasound Gel will be rubbed on your abdomen to help send the sound waves better and produce correct liver ultrasound images. Your health-care provider will then move the ultrasound sensor around different area of your abdominal, including your liver. He may ask you to hold your breath at times and/or change positions.

The liver ultrasound pictures helps your doctor to confirm or rule out fatty liver disease, how your liver functions, and whether it’s enlarged or not. In other words, it’s a very useful tool for diagnosing a fatty liver.

Healthy Liver Ultrasound picture

Fatty Liver Images

In the liver ultrasound picture sample above, it shows a typical healthy liver, at normal size, with no signs of a liver disorder. A liver specialist would come to the conclusion that the liver is perfectly normal.

Now lets take a look of a Fatty Liver on Ultrasound

Fatty Liver Images

You can actually see fatty liver images in the ultrasound above (the black area is fat that covers the liver). Fatty Liver is a very common reason for performing an abdominal ultrasound. In fact, it’s the most common liver disease in the world so performing a fatty liver ultrasound is one of the things many people go through to diagnose the disease.

I also recommend you to read full details on liver ultrasound preparation.

1. Joan Doyle
    Joan Doyle says:

Here is what my liver doctor had to say to me when asked what should I do with the fatty liver disease and the Hep C since I have both.

Printer-friendly version To:
    Joan E Doyle

From:
    HIEN TRONG TRUONG MD

Received:
    12/31/2010 8:12 PM

Hi,

I reviewed your ultrasound results.

You have hepatitis C and fatty liver.
    They are both inflammatory conditions of the liver, and are separate.

Hepatitis C is an infection.
    Fatty liver is a metabolic condition that is currently not well understood.
    Some people have both at the same time, and you are one of them.

I have been addressing your hepatitis C, and am comfortable discussing it with you.
    But I have to be honest I am not well-versed with “fatty liver”.
    This condition should be addressed by your primary MD (Dr. Akabike).
    She may refer you to a gastroenterologist.

Thanks,

Jonathan Truong, MD
    Dept. of Infectious Diseases
    Kaiser Lancaster

2. Maude Vang
    Maude Vang says:

I have fatty liver disease, however 1. I have weighed in the low to high 80’s ALL of my life up til recently. I am now 54 and have wt. gain up to 108 lbs. and although I am liking the wt. it seems to make me feel like I am suffocating from the inside out. Also another fact is that I do not drink and am obviously not obese. Now my PA says that she is not totally convinced that I have fatty liver disease even though an ultra sound was done. Am quite in a quandary about this one. So my comment is: how do I know for sure if I have fatty liver disease or not and if I do the why do I have it. the test was originally to see if I have gall stones as my lfts were elevated. Certainly not from drinking, being obese or taking drugs abusively. I do not have any form of hepatitis either. Marie

3. Jenny
    Jenny says:

Hi I just had a ultrasound done last week. I was told there was possible Mild fatty liver infiltration on my ultrasound. I saw a GI and he said there is no way to tell Cirrhosis from Fat from Ultrasound. I am having a Biopsy next Weds.
    I am 25 yrs old I have Stills Disease (Systemic Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) I also had a positive AMA M2 auto antibody (which often indicates PBC)
    But I do not have any of the pre cursors for fatty liver scares me it maybe cirrhosis.
    I weight 145 and 5’6″ Good blood pressure usually like 110/60 good cholesterol. No metabolic disease. I do not drink smoke and exercise a couple times a week.
    Can this be anything else

4. lisa ault
    lisa ault says:

My son is 19 and the dr. said his level is high in his liver. He has to go and get a altrasound tomorrow. Is there anything to worry about? Him and his brother work out and they drink the muscle drinks. I heard that is not got for them. He is so healthy.

5. Michelle Preston
    Michelle Preston says:

Hi,
    I am 30 and noted a “fatty liver,” on the ultrasound, but no concerned was raised. Should I speak to my doctor about this? I am making the attempt to lose weight.

6. SJYOTI
    SJYOTI says:

Hi Marie Penn,
    Eleveted SGOT/SGPTs are possible due to many reasons. Some of them include gall-stones, pancreatic problems, hepatitis(including auto-immune), copper/iron deposition on liver or NASH. ultra sonography can detect the fatty lever. You can do tests for copper(KF ring test of your eye)/iron deposition as well. If they come negative and you do not have gall-stone or pancreatic problem then it may be NASH. The diagnosis of NASH follows this method of rejection of other possibilities. Try to reduce weight slowly by walking etc. Take care. Take less protein, zero fat and more and more viamins. Consult your doctor. She will be the best guide, afterall.

7. brenda migues
    brenda migues says:

my doctor found out from my blood work my liver count is a little high she said i may have a fatty liver i have to go through a liver ultra sound on friday of this week.i am taking lipitor,