Fatty Liver on Ultrasound & Fatty Liver Images

One of the common ways to diagnose liver disorders and diseases (including fatty liver) is an abdominal ultrasound test.

Using fatty liver ultrasound, it is possible to analyze and confirm the existence or non-existence of fatty liver.

The abdominal ultrasound is a painless test that uses sound waves to produce images of your liver, and the entire process usually takes less than 15 minutes, and it is required to fast for at least 6.

fatty-liver-ultrasound-images-pictures

For accurate results, you should avoid eating fresh fruits, fried food, milk, eggs, and bread the day before the liver ultrasound test.

How an Abdominal Ultrasound room typically looks like

fatty liver on ultrasound

You will be asked to lie on your back for this test. A special Ultrasound Gel will be rubbed on your abdomen to help send the sound waves better and produce correct liver ultrasound images. Your health-care provider will then move the ultrasound sensor around different area of your abdominal, including your liver. He may ask you to hold your breath at times and/or change positions.

The liver ultrasound pictures helps your doctor to confirm or rule out fatty liver disease, how your liver functions, and whether it’s enlarged or not. In other words, it’s a very useful tool for diagnosing a fatty liver.

Healthy Liver Ultrasound picture

Fatty Liver Images

In the liver ultrasound picture sample above, it shows a typical healthy liver, at normal size, with no signs of a liver disorder. A liver specialist would come to the conclusion that the liver is perfectly normal.

Now lets take a look of a Fatty Liver on Ultrasound

Fatty Liver Images

You can actually see fatty liver images in the ultrasound above (the black area is fat that covers the liver). Fatty Liver is a very common reason for performing an abdominal ultrasound. In fact, it’s the most common liver disease in the world so performing a fatty liver ultrasound is one of the things many people go through to diagnose the disease.

I also recommend you to read full details on liver ultrasound preparation.

Hi Patricia Olsson,

Apple cider vinegar is known to help with gallstones, but there are other things that can be done.
      Has you daughter done a liver function blood test? If so, please post the results.

1. Ruth Ryan
    Ruth Ryan says:

If you have gall bladder stones and have pain in mid to right abdomen. I suggest apple cider vinegar. Sounds crazy, but it works. Gallbladder hates alcohol and love apple cider vinegar. There is a medicine call actigal. It actually break up gallstones. My gallbladder was loaded with stones. After being on put on this medicines for six months. My gall bladder now has two stones left. My urine use to be dark and stool were light in color. My gallbladder wall were very thick. I had a hugh gallbladder attacked. I spent 36 hours in bed. I drank apple juice mix with apple cider vinegar. This mixtures save my gallbladder. This mixtures is consider morphine for the gallbladder. Your pain is manageable. Thank God for vinegar. Pass on this information.

2. ozzy faelske
    ozzy faelske says:

Ive recently been diagnosed with fatty liver. ive quit drinkin and have only been eating tuna and vegetables since being diagnosed. my questoion is why is my stomach still constantly bloated all the time is this from the fatty liver? Is there a medicine i can take for the bloating to go away?

3. Leika Moja
    Leika Moja says:

Sid, generally, increased echotexture means bright image of the liver. most common cause is fatty infiltration. if however liver tests are normal, and you are not drinking in excess or if you are not obese, the fatty liver itself is unlikely to cause future problems.

4. Sid
    Sid says:

Can someone please explain what is the meaning of increased echotexture of the liver.

Normal in size and increased echotexture
    Impression: Fatty Liver
    Age: 34

Is there any possibility of getting NAFLD and AFLD at the same time ?

5. Lynnea
    Lynnea says:

Hi ~ I have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease. I am a 49-year-old female; I don’t drink or do drugs, I am not overweight, and I have a pretty healthy diet. I have had gallstones & kidney stones in the past; I underwent a cholecystectomy and splenectomy in the past. Why do I have a fatty liver with a good, healthy diet?

6. Patrick
    Patrick says:

“You can actually see the fat that covers the liver (the black area).”

This is totally inaccurate – how can you publish this and confuse the public?

Dr P.J.N.ROGERS Specialist Registrar, Radiology, UK.

7. John
    John says:

Hi there Doctor!

2 years ago I was diagnosed with moderate to sever fatty liver and mild enlargement. I was 60 pounds overweight and a social drinker. Since then, I eliminated all alcohol and went on a diet and lost 49 pounds 🙂

Just had a repeat ultrasound Friday and here is the results:

“Real Time Ultrasound of the abdomen, comparison made with 10/12/93.
    Hepatic echo-texture is mildly heterogeneous possible representing mild patchy fatty infiltration.
    All other findings were normal”

All labs normal, all blood work normal.
    Is this finding consistent with someone who reversed a fatty liver? I’m thinking left ifer pockets of fat.

Thanks you sir!

8. Mark
    Mark says:

I have hep c, diagnosed about 4 years ago (Type I A), and I started drinking after about 25 years of abstinence due to problem drinking when I was in my early 20s. After resuming drinking the liver panel test started increasing, and this led me to seek a full liver function panel of tests. That is when I discovered the Hep C.

I still drink and have had regular ultrasound with reports of mild fatty liver, no fibrosis, up until a year ago. Yesterday I went for a Fibroscan and the doctor informed me I have stage 4 fibrosis! I was pretty shocked as I was told all along that Hep C is slow in progression and I don’t have pain associated with liver (although I do have some symptoms, like yellow stool and dark urine, at times).

I am wondering how reliabile this fibroscan test is (score of 20)? I would appreciate more information as the physicians seemed to treat the whole deal with amusement or at best a lack of any concern. Just told me to stop drinking. No referral for further tests, follow-up appointments, enquiry into matters regarding drinking diet etc.

I will definitely look for a better clinic or doctor and have this repeated. Meanwhile I am wondering if anyone has experience with this test?

9. Kylie
    Kylie says:

Hi i’m 36yrs old I have been diagnosed with mild fatty liver, i also suffer from PCOS. I’ve been trying to lose weight with no such luck and I’m constantly suffering from bloating and discomfort. I don’t drink, don’t do drugs including non and legal drugs.
    I’m on a waiting list to see a liver specialist but i have to wait 7 yrs, should i try and get a second opionion??