Fatty Liver Disease Symptoms

When talking about fatty liver disease symptoms you usually tend to think that it involves a sort of physical symptom you can point on, like so many other disease. In reality, fatty liver has nearly non-existent symptoms.

In most cases it is usually “hidden” and unnoticeable, until a routine blood test shows elevated levels of liver enzymes.

The reason behind this is because fat development around the liver is a very slow process, and usually takes years and even decades until it develops into a more severe liver disorder that actually has symptoms, like Cirrhosis. And while the fat is building up, there are almost no noticeable signs whatsoever.

Fatty Liver Symptoms

However, at a later stage of fatty liver development, the livers size is usually enlarged, and might cause an obscure discomfort in the right upper stomach. But it doesn’t happen to everyone, and isn’t considered as an actual symptoms of because it’s usually not painful.

This is the only “physical” fatty liver symptom, but again, it only happens at a later stage of the disease and not to everyone.

Diagnosing Fatty Liver even without Symptoms

You might ask, if there are no noticeable symptoms to fatty liver, how can one even know you have it? There is no simple answer to this question.

However, there is something anyone can do just to make sure to diagnose it when it happens, and that is to routinely take a blood test about every 6-12 month. A routine blood test is highly recommend for anyone, as it’s the best modern way to diagnose many diseases, especially at their early stage, and fatty liver is no stranger here.

If you do have a fatty liver, you will probably have an elevated ALT levels in your blood test results, which will eventually lead to a proper fatty liver diagnosis.

1. John
    John says:

The more I read about fatty liver the more I realize its more common then we all think;;;;;
    Andy; yea we all wish we knew how long we are going to live, but none of us do. Just try to make healthy choices while you can

2. Kimberly
    Kimberly says:

I have recently had a fasting test which shows my ALT/SGPT is high and that my glucose is mildly getting high. I was informed that I have an enlarged fatty liver and that I should loose weight and exercise 30 minutes 3 times a week. I am not a drinker nor diabetic. I am slight freaked out and wondering if anyone else has any information.

3. Heather
    Heather says:

I was recently diagnosed with fatty liver via ultrasound but have normal labs.. so my Dr isn’t concerned even though I have a constant annoying pain under my right ribs. I am very overweight but labs are all excellent. I’m very worried about this pain and have completely changed my diet and have started walking several times a week. I’ve lost 20lbs but the pain hasn’t improved. Im very anxious about it..

4. andy
    andy says:

yes kathy
    i have r/h/s pain all the time and bye rib cage worse when have good drink,
    my own fault as been drinking every day for 25yrs i do try to stop but cant
    i just wish i new how long i have left on this world 🙁

5. Amanda
    Amanda says:

My husband was just told he has fatty liver, he also had normal liver enzyme test results but had extremly high amonia levels in his blood which is why they did the ultra sound.

6. John
    John says:

Kathy my blood tests are perfect, but I also had moderate to sever fatty liver with mild enlargement according to my sonogram.
    I am curious is this means our livers are very fatty, but there is no “inflammation” which is why the blood enzymes are normal?
    I used to drink, but not really a lot. But my diet was terrible. I went on a diet and abstained from all alcohol for 6 months, tested again and it came back “mild fatty liver” with no mention of enlargement 🙂
    I still get occasional URQ discomfort.

Now I have begun to realize that eliminating fat is not the solution. Its the CARBS that cause the fatty liver. I just started a VERY low carb diet and will retest again in another month.

7. Kathy
    Kathy says:

You see, my issue is different. My liver enzymes come out fine, but, through ultra sound and biopsy I have Stage 2 NASH. I have lost 40 lbs, yet still have terrible discomfort in the region of the liver and in the ribs. Has anyone had this issue?

8. Mark Bar-Gomel

Hello Ryan,

Routine ultrasound is not realistic; this is because that prior of an ultrasound scan, you usually take a blood test, and only then your physician asks you to perform an ultrasound scan.

A routine blood test is the best way to find fatty liver symptoms.

Show newer comments »